Saturday, June 21, 2008

Sick Little Girl

Allyssa woke up this morning at 4:45 with a temperature of 103.1. I gave her some Tylenol and called the Doctor's emergency line. They said that she needed to go to the ER right away. Of course, we took her. By the time we got there her fever was down to 101. The ER nurse asked us why we brought her to the ER instead of waiting to see her regular doctor. I told him that she had a fever of 103. I thought this was a duh answer, but apparently not. The doctor who saw Allyssa asked the same question. It was then that I was told that for a baby a fever of 103 isn't that big of a deal. Just give them meds and see if it goes down. Take them to the regular doctor later if it does go down. Take her to the ER if it does not go down. Very interesting. They did some blood work and her counts were normal, so chances are she has a cold or something like that. She didn't get any prescriptions. She is just supposed to take Tylenol and Motrin and drink fluids. If she isn't better in 3 or 4 days, I'm supposed to take her to the doctor. This is totally new to me. I thought that a fever of 103 for anyone was a big deal. The doctor said that it is always a big deal for an adult, but that babies temperatures regulate differently, so it isn't the same. I can't wait to get in to see my regular doctor for Allyssa and ask her what I should do when Allyssa wakes up in the early morning with a fever. Apparently I'm not supposed to go to the ER.

No comments: